21/02/2017

Initial Experiments

After identifying that I would like to try some street photography for this project I decided to bring my camera with me on my travels and just try photographing people to see how comfortable I am and what I can produce where I live. Something that seems impossible to ignore in Cornwall are people's relationships with the beaches here, so I decided to try photographing families and surfers on some of the beaches I have been to in the past few weeks. I have learnt that you have to be very patient and it is very hard to be covert when photographing on a beach rather than a busy high street. I think there is a feeling of warmth to the families in these photographs and I think the anonymity works because it allows the viewing to put themselves in these relationships that we all experience. 

The affection shown is the final photograph of the mother and daughter above is my favourite and on this day I was using a longer lens so I could get closer to my subjects. I am not happy with these photographs if I am being honest though. They don't really comment on anything and it is obvious I have kept my distance which I guess is fair enough with this subject matter. I really appreciate the confidence that is needed for this kind of photography and it is something I would like to continue working on. However I know if I used this kind of approach to take my final photographs I would not be happy with the result. 

I am starting to think more about the Gary Winogrand photographs as events photography is something I have been doing a lot of recently and I think it is an interesting way to look at relationships. I just need to find my focus right now because I have a lot of ideas but nothing is grabbing me just yet.












No comments:

Post a Comment