28/09/2014

Inspired By Thomas Ruff

German photographer Thomas Ruff is well known for his half length portrait photos which are all taken like passport pictures with the top edge of the photograph just above the subject's hair. His photos are taken in a studio with a 9 x 12 cm negative using flash. Most of his photos were of his students and friends and they often had emotionless expressions and are face on. I really like this simplistic approach to portrait photography and for my interpretation using my friend Katie I used natural lighting against a white background and framed my subject in the same way as Ruff did to create what despite not having used a studio, film camera or artificial lighting like Ruff is quite a similar interpretation of his photos in terms of how I've presented my subject and the composition of the photo.


No comments:

Post a Comment