29/04/2017

SDA Final Edit

For my final edit for my SDA work I sat down in mid April and decided on captions for my photographs and which ones I thought would work best in a series. I decided to take out the Bodmin Jail photographs which were some of my favourites however I felt they lacked a certain distance that I wanted in the photographs that I think I achieved with the rest of my images for other locations. In terms of ordering the series I really struggled because they are quite disconnected and as a set they don't tell a story from start to finish. However I decided to go for my beach photograph first as I think this image really sums up what people think about when they think of Cornwall however the eeriness of this image really sets the tone for the series. 

Overall I am pretty satisfied with the outcome of this series considering how difficult it is to get to so many places for me as I don't drive. I do however feel dissatisfied with the quality of my post production on my photographs, as some of the colours have come out really off and I don't really know why. I would however love to learn how to take medium format photography now and hopefully will have that sussed out for my next project. 
Porthminster Beach, St Ives, Cornwall, UK, 18 March, 2017

Porthminster Beach, St Ives

The ghost of a shipwrecked woman is said to walk Porthminster beach carrying a lantern. She has been said to patrol the beach in search of her child who she lost in the accident. Seeing her is considered an ill-omen.

Lanhydrock Estate, Bodmin, Cornwall, UK, 11 March, 2017

Lanhydrock House, Bodmin

The stately home of Lanhydrock is said to be haunted by a grey lady who wanders the gallery and drawing room; the only parts of the house that remained after a large fire burned down the house in the 19th century. The building is also said to be haunted by a man who was hanged by royalists there during the civil war. 
St Gluvias Church, Penryn, Cornwall, UK, 7 March, 2017

St Gluvias Church, Penryn

The historic parish church of St Gluvias is said to contain a haunting manifestation in the form of the ghost of a former bell ringer who drowned at sea. Once a captain this figure is said to return on occasion from his watery grave and stand silently in the church. He has also been said to ring the church bells on occasion in the early hours of the morning. 
Kennel Vale, Ponsanooth, Cornwall, UK, 19 March, 2017

Kennel Vale, Ponsanooth 

The remains of the Kennel Vale gunpowder works are said to be haunted by the ghost of William Dunstan. A father who died after a gunpowder explosion in 1838 which caused many deaths and destroyed five mills.
Pendennis Castle, Falmouth, Cornwall, UK, 7 March, 2017

Pendennis Castle, Falmouth

Built by Henry VII Pendennis Castle was the site of a famous siege that lasted six months. In which royalists trapped inside were forced to eat their dogs and horses before eventually surrendering. Many visitors to the castle have reported hearing the piercing screams of a kitchen maid who died in the castle at this time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment