01/12/2014

Lisa Sorgini | Food Stamps

One of my favourite blogs at the moment is Ignant which is a Berlin based blog that features creatives in art, photography, design and architecture. Once I was given the brief for experimental photography I knew I would have to spend a good hour or so on this site working my way through the abundance of experimental artists and photographers. The one photographer that instantly inspired me was Lisa Sorgini, particularly the feature on her food stamps series. Which I think is so visually unique and captivating and I knew I would have to try the technique myself.

Food Stamps
'Food Stamps' is a somewhat accidental collage project in which a beautiful and entertaining union occurred between a collection of old National Geographic magazines and food from my kitchen.

These serendipitously came together to create a series of images with renewed and implied meaning'

Lisa Sorgini's Food Stamp series combined National Geographic images with food she found in her kitchen to create an 'accidental collage project'. I added her personal description from her website of her series above as it really defines exactly what I love about this series. The fact that this serendipity adds something really refreshing to these old images that you can really interpret for yourself. I love the composition of these images in particularly and the way she has positioned the food in very purposeful ways to add rhythm and flow to the images, for example in the two images above the food is used to connect the subjects in the images making our eyes flow from one to the other. The use of anonymity is also very powerful in this series in how Sorgini has covered the subjects faces to really allow you to read and interpret this picture for yourself, which really transforms what are very standard National Geographic images.



This photo is my personal favourite from the series. I just find this so funny and love the way Sorgini has managed to change the tone of the original photo in such a small but humorous way that completely throws the purpose of the original photo completely out of the window for the viewer.

Every detail of Sorgini's work is just so aesthetically pleasing to me and I cannot fault a thing she's done. She has inspired me to try this technique myself and I will definitely be looking into more of Sorgini's techniques in the coming weeks.



No comments:

Post a Comment