08/03/2015

Experimenting With Long Exposures + Water In Landscape Photography


While researching landscape photography online I've come across a great deal of images that contain shots of running water in them. This effect is created by putting the camera on a tripod so that it can remain static while the shutter opens for longer to really capture the movement of the water for a longer period of time, which creatse these misty effects where the water is moving as you can see in the photographs above where the falling water is particularly white and has the appearance of thick smoke. 

I decided to try creating these effects with water myself by going to a stream near where I live to photograph the water. I balanced my camera on walls where I could to keep it as still as possible and opened my shutter for a second to capture as much movement in the water as I could without the camera being blown too much as it was a particularly windy day. 





I think this shot was my most successful in terms of capturing the most movement in the water without my camera moving, as in a lot of my other photos you can really see how my camera has been moved slightly while it has taken the photograph as a lot of detail has been lost. 


This is my personal favourite from my little shoot as I really like the rich green colours and composition in this image as the trees and wall frame the water nicely to make this scene feel very intimate.

Overall I enjoyed practising this technique and will definitely use a tripod next time as the wind and not being able to keep my camera completely still did really affect the quality of these images, and the vantage point and composition I could create as I had to balance my camera on walls which really restricted the shots I could take. I'd now like to go on to take some photographs of less intimate landscapes so I can work on my composition a bit more.

No comments:

Post a Comment