26/03/2015

Marilyn Manson "I Don't Like The Drugs" // Music Video Stills


In search of more possible conceptual ideas for my final piece, I decided to start researching art films and music videos, for interesting visuals and deeper messages, that could influence my ideas. As I've been looking at themes of horror and distortion, I decided to look into the music videos of the king of disturbing himself, Marilyn Manson. Due to it's underlying social messages and visuals, that really build on what I've already looked at, I decided to look at stills from the music video, "I Don't Like The Drugs", in order to find more inspiration both visually and conceptually. 


I also decided to look at this music video because Manson makes a great deal of use, out of light and in particular white noise, through these television screens he has tied to his back whilst trying to walk down a street. The lyrics in this video really communicate a clear sense of resentment that Manson has for society and how it raises people. The lyrics "I don't like the drugs, but the drugs like me", I think is Manson using drugs as a metaphor for social institutions like education and religion. Other lyrics in the song make reference to drugs being a metaphor for god and this idea that god is still welcoming to everyone, no matter what you've done and that is what religion pushes.

In terms of the television screens that are weighing down Manson in the still above, I think they represent the constant pull that mass media has on us, in terms of our thoughts and perspective on everything. I think it also challenges this idea of what free will actually means, in a society where we apparently have human rights and the freedom of speech, however we are tightly placed into these social institutions and norms, that take away of lot of our independence and free will, in terms of what religions we are exposed to and the way we are taught and allowed to live our lives. I think the white noise as well that we see on the screens, represents Manson's opinion on how meaningless mass media is in keeping our lives moving along but not actually allowing us to go anywhere.

When Manson was just Brian Warner, as a child he attended a catholic school and this song and many others, really reveals this resentment he feels towards religion, education, family and western culture in general. In terms of this still, where we can see a family gathered around to watch a television show, where we see a headless man in the screen. I think here the reference to drugs is a metaphor for what society gives to those who are part of lower tiers of society, in that Manson believes the everyday person is raised to be stupid and taught to be nothing through these empty television shows and what is passed through the media and social norms that are consecutive to day to day life. Manson uses anonymity here to communicate this much deeper message as we cannot see the faces of any of the subjects in this piece, making us focus on this group as a family, all facing this television screen and what that represents.

The colours used in the video are all very desaturated, which I think was intentional, in order to communicate this idea of society being very soulless and institutionalised, as to me the taking away of colour takes away this sense of life and joy.


In a lot of the video we see many clips of Manson in these very bright, over exposed shots, where he looks deranged and confined. I think this is him commenting further on how mass media and society drives him crazy, with the sense of order and entrapment that it makes him feel. I think this use of overexposing the shot to take away a lot of the detail, that just leaves these bright white and grey shapes, is powerful in conveying this sense of psychological torment Manson feels. I also find this bright white effect, very clinical and minimal, which I think is interesting to see this movement within, as it gives the effect that Manson is struggling within a padded cell. Which again massively relates to this sense of entrapment that he is conveying, in relation to social institutions within our western society that try to control him.

Looking at this video, has inspired me to think more about the use of lighting in my images and the deeper meanings I could communicate through using textures such as white noise and desaturated or even monochromatic colours and also again how I could use anonymity to communicate something very conceptual with my work. The themes of this video have also inspired me to think about how I could make a comment on society and social institutions, such as mass media with my own work.

24 comments:

  1. I high appreciate this post. It’s hard to find the good from the bad sometimes, but I think you’ve nailed it! would you mind updating your blog with more information? Drug interactions

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super-Duper site! I am Loving it!! Will come back again, Im taking your feed also, Thanks. ikea antilope

    ReplyDelete
  3. Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting?I have read a few of the articles on your website now, and I really like your style. Thanks a million and please keep up the effective work. Saddle stool

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for very usefull information.. buy ket online

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely enjoying every little bit of it. It is a great website and nice share. I want to thank you. Good job! You guys do a great blog, and have some great contents. Keep up the good work. http://www.artemuseos.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This blog is really great. The information here will surely be of some help to me. Thanks!. Marcia Backstrom Dolls

    ReplyDelete
  7. Please continue this great work and I look forward to more of your awesome blog posts. Method Ik Zentrum

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really loved reading your blog. It was very well authored and easy to understand. Unlike other blogs I have read which are really not that good.Thanks alot! Florida drug rehab

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am very much pleased with the contents you have mentioned. I wanted to thank you for this great article. alcohol detox centers in Florida

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing this quality information with us. I really enjoyed reading. Will surely going to share this URL with my friends. detox places near me

    ReplyDelete
  11. It was a very good post indeed. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it in my lunch time. Will surely come and visit this blog more often. Thanks for sharing. virtual assistants

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the blog loaded with so many information. Stopping by your blog helped me to get what I was looking for. alcohol treatment centers in Florida

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am happy to find this post Very useful for me, as it contains lot of information. I Always prefer to read The Quality and glad I found this thing in you post. Thanks alcohol rehab in Florida

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice to be visiting your blog again, it has been months for me. Well this article that i’ve been waited for so long. I need this article to complete my assignment in the college, and it has same topic with your article. Thanks, great share. virtual assistant

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really like your take on the issue. I now have a clear idea on what this matter is all about.. Detox Places

    ReplyDelete
  16. The medical use of marijuana is an explosive new movement in the treatment of certain diseases and illnesses.  best online dispensary

    ReplyDelete
  17. In the year 2010 it was reported that the number of weed dispensaries established in Denver has outnumbered the number of the city's Starbucks.  best MOM Canada

    ReplyDelete
  18. AIDS patients take a lot of pills. The HIV virus attacks the body's immune system on multiple fronts, causing intense nausea and lack of appetite.  buy edibles online Canada

    ReplyDelete
  19. The e-fluid and vape industry has risen in the course of recent years, to such an extent that it's practically unrecognizable from what it was.For new vapers and those hoping to change from smoking, it's anything but easy to get confused by all of the different vape fluids available.  d8 thc gummies

    ReplyDelete
  20. Are you using safe CBD oil? Learn the facts on what to look for to ensure that you are getting safe and healthy CBD oil products that are not tainted with pesticides, heavy metals and other dangerous impurities. d8 gummies

    ReplyDelete
  21. Back in the 60s smoking weed was quite popular. There was something of a cultural revolution going on. Most of the folks that smoked pot back then eventually grew out of it and went on to have families and enjoy a normal life in American society.  check out the official fresh bros website

    ReplyDelete
  22. Over the past few years, vaping has been increasing in popularity. As a matter of fact, it is a great way of quitting your smoking habit and adopting a better alternative.  check out the official fresh bros online store

    ReplyDelete
  23. seo service What does it mean. Well, to comment on the blogs is one way for promoting dialogue & discussion. 

    ReplyDelete